Setting Up Your Collection Filters with Tags
On this page
The Loft Theme comes with a filtering system used on your collection pages that is driven by tags assigned to your products. To create a dropdown filter, you must use a delimiter that is defined in your language settings and then applied to each product. The following sections will outline how to setup your language settings, how to tag your products and the collection settings to be aware of inside the theme editor.
Two dropdown filters are seen on this Sofas collection. “Color” and “Sofas” are both tags using the “::” delimiter to create a dropdown filter in this collection.
- Navigation to your language settings by clicking on “Theme actions” in the bottom left corner of the Shopify Theme Editor.
- Type the word “group” into the Filter bar to go directly to your “Group tag” settings.
- By default, the group tag delimiter is set to “::”. You can change this to be a different delimiter if needed. Some examples are “--” “__”.
- Click save in the upper right corner.
You have now defined the delimiter to use in your tags. The words before the delimiter will show up in the filter bar. The words after the delimiter will become the options in the dropdown.
For example, the “Color” filter uses the tags: Color::Black, Color::Blue, Color::Gray, Color::Green, Color::Red
For a thorough look at how tags work in Shopify, please review Creating and using tags in Shopify.
- Go to All products and select the product you want to add tags to.
- Once the product is open, find the “tags” section of your product data.
- Enter in the filter tags that are applicable to this product.
- Save your product data.
If you need to add several tags to products, consider using the bulk editor in Shopify. Review the Shopify article Bulk editing products and variants.
Open the Collection pages template inside the Shopify Theme Editor to finish configuring your tag filters.
- Enable sorting: Toggle this on or off to show the "filter by" area on your collection page.
- Product tags to hide: Enter any tags, separated by commas, that you do not want to appear in your “filter by” area. Be sure to add tags that apply to each collection in your store.
Filters are all displayed in sentence case (First word capitalized, all other words lowercase). When entering in tags to hide, be sure you are formatting them the way the tag appears on the product.
If a group of tags only has 1 option, then no dropdown will appear. Instead, only the word before the delimiter will appear. For example a collection has products with "Furniture::Storage" but no other tags that begin with "Furniture::". Therefore the filter tag "Furniture" will appear but there will be no dropdown to show the option of "Storage".
If you find a group tag that only has 1 option, consider using a tag without the delimiter (like "Storage" instead of "Furniture::Storage". That way the tag "Storage" will be visible in your filters.
Product tags to hide have been entered and therefore are not seen in the "Filter by".
For additional support, please submit a request and our support team will be in touch to help!